Blog

Concerns have been raised for the safety of the popular anti- diarrhoea medicine Imodium (active ingredient loperamide) following the death of a young father from an overdose of loperamide earlier this year.

Aaron McCaffrey, 27, was addicted to Imodium and was reportedly taking up to 150 tablets per day. On the day of his collapse, he was found with empty packaging for 250 pills. He collapsed in the bathroom of a supermarket in Manchester and was placed in a medically induced coma and during this time suffered a number of cardiac arrests and brain damage. Six days after being found, McCaffrey died as a result of these attacks.

Receipts show McCaffrey sourced his large stock of loperamide by shopping in different stores purchased from various locations, to avoid discovery.

The Times has reported that assistant coroner for South Manchester, Rachel Galloway, has expressed concerns to the MHRA over the number of pills that can be bought over the counter from a single store.

The MHRA has received more reports of loperamide overdose, with five people taking the drug and two of those ending in death.

Doctors have expressed “shock” in the case for McCaffrey and his girlfriend Leanne Harvey, informed the Manchester Evening News “For us it was scary because they said they had never seen anything like it, and we didn’t know what was going to happen to him”.